Truck Accident Lawyers
Trucks pose a lethal threat because they are massive objects that travel at a very high rate of speed. A 25,000-pound truck traveling at 75 MPH cause devastating accidents. If you or a loved one has been injured in a trucking accident, contact us immediately. Our nationally recognized, award-winning legal team has won courtroom victories worth multiple billions of dollars for clients across the country. We offer free case reviews and aggressively fight to get you the care and compensation you deserve.
Get Your Free Truck Accident Case Review Now
In 2015, 4,050 large truck accidents resulted in fatalities across the United States. That same year, 87,000 large trucks were involved in accidents that lead to injuries. Trucking accidents are common because there are so many trucks on the road. Trucking is the primary mode of transportation used to transport goods from manufacturers to you. In fact, an incredible 80% of all cargo in America is transported by the trucking industry. The trucking industry transports four times as much cargo as air (8%), pipeline (6%), rail (4%), and water (2%) combined. There are 1.3 million trucking companies in the United States and 7.1 million people are employed by the trucking industry (6% of the entire U.S. working population). Finally, truck driver is the most common occupation in 29 states.
Consequences of Trucking Accidents
The devastating nature of trucking accidents creates a myriad of serious outcomes.
- Survivors of accidents with trucks often cope with high medical bills for treatment after the incident.
- Many face long-term medical costs as well as diminished earning capacities due to their injuries.
- Victims may face pain and suffering from their injuries, as well as the prospect of permanent disability and/or scarring.
- When there is a fatality, a family loses the support and companionship of a loved one.
Causes of Trucking Accidents
In 2007, The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration conducted its Large Truck Crash Causation Study and analyzed hundreds of associated factors for each vehicle in each trucking crash. In descending order, the top 10 factors coded for large trucks and their drivers were:
- Truck Driver Fatigue
- Brake problems
- Traffic flow interruption (congestion, previous crash)
- Prescription drug use
- Traveling too fast for conditions
- Unfamiliarity with roadway
- Roadway problems
- Required to stop before a crash (traffic control device, crosswalk)
- Over-the-counter drug use
- Inadequate surveillance
The vehicle itself can also lead to accidents. Trucking companies can improperly load or inspect the trucks before the driver begins their journey. Mechanical failure or poorly loaded cargo falling off the truck pose serious risks to motorists.
Trucking Laws and Regulations
The U.S. Department of Transportation regulates trucking through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to ensure compliance with federal laws. However, many states have laws substantially similar to the federal laws on trucking.
An understanding of the interplay of both federal and state laws in trucking cases is essential. Motor carrier regulations exist, in part, because the vehicles addressed are so potentially dangerous. A good lawyer will work to uncover regulatory non-compliance with these regulations by identifying issues such as:
- Negligent maintenance
- Excess weight
- Improperly placed or secured loads
- Driving times exceeding regulatory limits (truck diver fatigue)
The laws and regulations imposed on motor carriers are strict, with good reason: the sheer size of trucks turn small errors or oversights into major accidents.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a trucking accident, call 1 (800) 872-3500 immediately. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONTACT US?
There are many benefits to working with our lawyers. Choose the right law firm and get the results you deserve.
Our award-winning legal team achieved a $252,000,000 settlement against several hospitals for gross misconduct. The settlement was reached after years of hard-fought litigation that overcame multiple procedural and substantive hurdles.
Our lawyers negotiated a massive nine-figure settlement after several years of hard-fought litigation. We are especially proud of this result, as it was an extremely complex case.
The lawyers at Cooper Law Partners reached an eighty million dollar settlement on behalf of our client. Our legal team defeated numerous motions, went through the appellate court system and, ultimately, reached a great result.